Monday, March 23, 2009

My poor little man!

Just as soon as Tyler got better from his cold, he came down with what is assumed to be rotavirus. Granted, Tyler did have about a week in there of good health, but that all changed Thursday morning...

I stepped into his room. Golly, it stinks pretty bad in here. That new diaper pail must not be containing smells as well as I hoped. I stepped up to the crib and proceeded to get Tyler up to take him to the sitter's. "oh boy, Tyler. You are super stinky. Let's get that diaper off you." We proceed to the changing table upon which I realize I've got a super duper mess. There's a poop puddle where Tyler was laying, his pjs (which consisted of a white onesie and a footed fleece sleeper) where drenched in soupy poopy mess. After peeling his clothes off as carefully and cleanly as I could, I realized that Tyler needed a bath. Crap, I'm going to be late for work! "Josh, I need some help in here! Get some bath water running! Tyler is covered in poop!" Meanwhile the poor child is crying and certainly not happy to be tossed in the tub minutes after being plucked out of his crib. I'd have to say it was a rude awakening! After getting all cleaned up and dressed, I had to have Josh take him to the sitter's to save myself 5 minutes on my trip to work. Good Morning, Mommy!!!

That night, he cried in the middle of the night. I got up to change him (clothes too), hoping to avoid changing bedsheets and having to soak the poo poo out of them. I managed to do just that. Yippee! Well, now Tyler doesn't want to go back to sleep. He's a little fussy and he feels a little warm, so I get Josh up to draw up the Tylenol. I tell Josh that my belly doesn't really feel so good... Meanwhile, Tyler throws up. Luckily we were on the linolium. He's crying, I'm trying not to hurl myself while cleaning up the bulk of the vomit. We get a new (third set) of pjs on him and I bring him upstairs to his room. (I have no clue why) Then he starts throwing up again. This time I face him so he throws up on me... better than the carpet. (The things I'll do to make clean-up easier!) At this point I'm REALLY not feeling well, so I decide to have josh coat the couch with blankets and the two of us lay down on the couch. Meanwhile, Tyler falls asleep and I decide to put him back in his crib. I figured that if I need to throw up, that I would be better off being upstairs closer to the bathroom and not having him laying on top of me. I ended up feeling better in the morning, and suprisingly so did Tyler. I decide not to call the doctor because we are seemingly okay now. And, we went half the morning and the whole afternoon without any more episodes.

Saturday afternoon, Tyler has about 3 watery diapers in an hour... I stop by the store for pedialyte on my way home from work. We seem to be getting better by the end of the day. Sunday morning - he has 3 more watery diapers. By this time, I can't tell if he's peed or not since the poo poo is water. So, I consult Dr. Internet. Everything I read about diarrhea in toddlers said to call the Dr if it persists for three days. Crap - this is day four and symptoms aren't showing signs of improvment. Okay, we need to take him in to see if anything can be done and to make sure he's not REALLY REALLY sick. So, $100 later, we find out there's nothing that can be done to stop the diarrhea and just to keep him hydrated to replace the fluids lost. Great - well, at least I bought peace of mind. So, we are on day 5 and the ER doc said symptoms could last as long as 14 days depending on the virus he has. She said it is likely rotavirus, but they didn't do any testing on his stool, so that is just a guess. They did end up checking his blood sugar which was 83. So - I guess we'll keep hoping things return to normal soon!

Things always happen to get to the "see your doctor" phase over the weekend, don't they?

On a side note... grape pedialyte makes poop turn colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment